Designated April 2, 1992
The Cupola Tower was first located at 2240 South Moorland Road. The Ozanam Home was originally built, financed and donated in 1930 by the Smith family of the A.O. Smith Corporation. The convalescent home was an extension of the Children’s Hospital and was used to house the care of long-term patients during the poliomyelitis epidemic.
In June 1955, when that need decreased and new facilities were added to the Milwaukee Children’s Hospital, the existing buildings and land were put up for sale. The 85-acre property was sold on August 28, 1955 to the St. Vincent de Paul Society to replace the nursing home facilities on Highland Avenue in Milwaukee. Patients and staff were transferred to the newly-acquired property and the place was renamed Ozanam Home in honor of Frederic Ozanam, founder of the St. Vincent de Paul Society.