2020 Comprehensive Plan Overall Update
The Department of Community Development is working with the Plan Commission on an overall update to the City's 2020 Comprehensive Plan. The 2020 Comprehensive Plan was adopted in December of 2009 and it has been approximately five years since the adoption of the Plan and Staff has determined that it is necessary to complete a review of the document. Basic “housekeeping” items are also needed to reflect City progress, past City actions and growth since December 2009.
The Plan Commission will act as the Steering Committee for this update and will provide feedback regarding the proposed updates. Per the State Statutes, a public hearing will be held before the Plan Commission in order to present the proposed amendments. The Common Council will adopt the final changes via ordinance.
The following chapters were provided to the Plan Commission for review on March 7, 2016, April 13, 2016 and June 6, 2016 and approved by the Common Council, via ordinance, on June 14, 2016:
- Chapter 1 – Introduction
- Chapter 2 – Issues and Opportunities
- Chapter 4 – Cultural Resources
- Chapter 5 – Agricultural & Natural Resources
- Chapter 8 – Wastewater & Water Distribution Utilities
- Chapter 9 – Community Facilities
- Chapter 10 – Land Use
- Chapter 11 – Neighborhood A (Greenfield Avenue Corridor)
- Chapter 12 – Neighborhood B (West Lincoln Avenue & Western Area)
- Chapter 13 – Neighborhood C (New Berlin Industrial Park)
- Chapter 14 – Neighborhood D (Urban Neighborhood North)
The final approved chapters can be found here
The update will be completed in two phases. A public hearing for the first set of amendments was held before the Plan Commission on June 6, 2016. The Plan Commission approved a Resolution recommending Common Council adoption of an ordinance that approves the proposed amendments. The Common Council approved the changes on June 14, 2016.
The following draft chapters from the Phase II set of amendments were presented at the May 2, 2016, July 13, 2016 and August 31, 2016 Plan Commission meetings:
A public hearing is scheduled to be held before the Plan Commission at the November 9, 2016 meeting.