Designated April 17, 2003
As early as 1863 some sort of schism befell the old German Lutheran
church on Racine Avenue which had been founded by Christian Damm and his
fellow German immigrants in 1848. A majority of the congregation
wished to leave the Lutheran church and form a German Reformed church.
In June, 1865 this group acquired a piece of land about a mile west of
their former church. In his diary Peter Swartz documents that in June
of that year work began on the new brick church, which was dedicated on
November 26, 1865. In addition to the church there was a parsonage with
a small German school and a new cemetery. This was the last historic
cemetery founded in New Berlin.
Of interest are the two monuments of early settlers born in the 1700s
– Carl Wilde (1788 – 1866) and Angelica Kratz (1799 – 1881). The
Swartz family had a large marker and the family’s remains were moved to
Prairie Home Cemetery in Waukesha many years ago.By the 1960s the church
was gone and all that remained was the cemetery to mark the lives of
these early German immigrants.