Designated November 19, 1991
This Cream City house, circa 1840, was built by
Quincy Church. It probably replaced the log cabin that once faced onto
the Old Mukwonago Road (National Avenue) in pioneer times. John Lindsey
once owned the farmstead.
One of the Freewill Baptist Church Congregation’s eldest members was
Abram Vanderpool who married Miss Rebecca Martin in front of the
double-faced fireplace in the old cabin. The Martin farm stretched
between what is now National Avenue and Barton Road. Rebecca’s sister
married Mr. Murphy who took ownership of the farm. Their sons, Guy and
Daniel operated a creamery for the Prospect Hill neighborhood. Before
they bought the old Hill School building in 1913, they operated from
this house. The Murphys moved the schoolhouse down the road with steam
engine and rollers.
In later years, John Heinz operated the property as a dairy farm.
Lightning struck and destroyed the barn in about 1958. Since1970, the
Lee Sisson Family has owned the homestead. This was the site of
Prospect Hill School #2, circa 1863. The original site was next to the
Baptist Church and it served as a one-room red school for 50 years,
until it was bought, moved, and used as the Murphy Brothers Creamery on
Barton Road. The Sissons donated the Creamery (once the 1863 Prospect
Hill School) to the Historical Park. It has now moved back to Prospect
Hill, in the Historic Park