Designated August 12, 2008
The barn was built in 1892, probably by the owner of the farm at that
time, Fred Phile. The barn is a good example of a bank barn which is
usually built into the side of a hill and is accessible at ground level
from entrances on the top and bottom of the hill.
This is one of the few family barns
left in New Berlin in good condition. The barn is unpainted cedar board
(presumed to be original). The boards are 1” thick with spaces between
them to allow wind to blow through and dry out. It has an
asphalt-shingled roof but the barn has never been painted except for a
couple of large painted advertisements on one side facing Greenfield
The barn has a full basement and the
fieldstone walls are two feet thick. The basement has been
professionally restored by means of mortar tuck-point in an antique
style matching the original.
Originally the barn housed cows, horses
and chickens on the lower level. Prior to 1960 the barn was used as an
art studio by the sculptor-owner of the property at the time and housed
statues. Heinz & Rosemarie Luthi bought the property in1962. The
property was originally 40 acres, however it was down to 3 and ½ acres
when Luthi”s bought it. The Luthi family primarily used the barn for
storage, although Heinz had a carpenter shop in what was once the
The barn is set back on the property and in order to see it permission of the owner to use the driveway is necessary.