Are you looking for ways to protect your home from flooding? There are many things you can do, depending on the flood hazard in your area, the characteristics of your property, and the zoning and building codes in your community. Some methods are fairly simple and inexpensive; others will require a professional contractor.
Our homeowner's checklist
will help you become familiar with what you can do. For more information about the costs and benefits of each method, talk to a professional builder, architect, or contractor. You should also ask the city's Building Department
about building permit requirements.
You may have other options for avoiding flood damage depending on your needs and financial resources. These include:
Floodplain & Flood Insurance
- Building drainage systems around the property
- Building levees
- Constructing exterior flood walls around basement doors and window wells
- Elevating buildings above projected flood levels
- Improving exterior walls
- Relocating buildings away from floodplains
- Sealing openings, such as low windows
For more information regarding floodplains and flood insurance, please visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency