Preparing for Emergencies
Protect Yourself & Your Family
The next time disaster strikes, you may not have much time to act. Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead. This checklist will help you get started. Discuss these ideas with your family, then prepare an emergency plan. Post the plan where everyone will see it - on the refrigerator or bulletin board.
Contact your emergency management office or American Red Cross
- Ask about special assistance for elderly or disabled persons
- Ask how to prepare for each disaster
- Ask how you would be warned of an emergency
- Find out which disasters could occur in your area
- Learn your community's evacuation routes
Ask your workplace about emergency plans. Learn about emergency plans for your children's school or day care center.